Friday 13 February 2015

2/14/15 - A List of Little Things, Happy Things

It's been a while since my last post, but there will definitely be some good'uns on their way! In the meantime I've been keeping track of some Little Things, Happy Things from my days around campus and the city. In no particular order, and with no specific dates attached to all of these, here we go!

- The girls in my suite. Of the 11 women that live in my apartment-style dorm, I am one of only 3 international students. All the girls that I live with are super sweet and so easy to hang out with, but are also super independent and have great stories to tell. On January 20, we went to a Japanese buffet with some of my fellow exchange friends. Between our group of 11 or 12 total (not all the girls could make dinner, but there are more plans in the works), we had so much food and such a great time - I am so grateful for these ladies!

- Good fight scenes in movies. I watched Watchmen for my Movies Class for the first time and damn, the choreography of the fight scenes in this film are spectacular!

- Easy one-on-one conversations that run super late into the night. There’s no other way like it to get to know someone, and feeling comfortable enough with anyone to talk about lots of stuff and nothing at all is a great experience.
                                                                  OR
- Being told that you’re easy to talk to. For someone like me, it’s easy to talk TO other people about stuff, but this year I really want to focus on being a good listener and someone that people feel comfortable confiding in. It’s a really reassuring feeling to be told that YOU’RE just as easy to talk to as you are to talk with, you know? I don’t know if that makes sense.

- People who are happy to share their language. Recently I've been able to chat with friends that speak Dutch, Mandarin, and Korean, and all of them were happy to teach me basic phrases and correct my pronunciation or tone. They were so patient and excited to share their language that it made ME super excited to learn even a little bit of it. So far I've only tried out the important phrases, like rude words, "What time is it?", or “Pass me a beer.”

The Learning Gardens. Open 24/7 all semester long, the Learning Gardens in the basement of the Central Campus Library is a beautiful workspace that’s pretty conducive to productivity. There are tables at different heights so you can work at whatever table/chair setup you’re most comfortable with, or can take a nap down here between classes on any of the BILLION cushions they’ve got scattered around.
Learning Gardens selfie, because why not? 

- Laksa. I’ve really been loving the soup that’s available here at the campus canteens, especially the Laksa. It’s a Chinese/Singaporean/Malaysian curry soup that’s made with coconut milk and chilli, and can be made to varying levels of spiciness. Luckily for a spice-wimp like me the ones on campus aren’t properly spicy, but they’re still SUPER yummy, and I think I might have found the best one on campus at Wu Yee Sun college. Then again, there are 33 canteens across CUHK and I haven’t tried them all yet so I’ll need to continue furthering my research...
(Not my photo, or the exact Laksa I had, but pretty darn close. You get the idea.)

- Messaging friends from back at home. Sometimes there are friends that you’d see almost every day and so end up taking for granted, but suddenly when you’re not part of each other’s daily lives catching up is hilarious, scandalous, and just an overall feel-good time!

- Catching a handsome stranger’s eye on the MTR. He was Chilean. I haven't seen him since, and don't expect to. It was a nice little ego boost, though :D

- Having exchange friends on Snapchat and being able to see their stories and share their adventures! Just tonight I’ve seen stories featuring fire breathers, Viet Kong tunnels, Toilet Restaurants, Singapore Slings being had IN Singapore, and some DELICIOUS looking food! I don't leave for another few days, so seeing them run around Asia is getting me SO PSYCHED for more adventures of my own!

That's 10 for now :) More posts are on the horizon - it's been an intense week and I'm feeling the inspiration to get it all down in words before I forget it all, especially before the week I've got lined up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment