Tuesday 6 January 2015

1/6/15: No-Class Tuesdays #1

No class on Tuesdays means that I have the day to myself. I look forward to using Tuesdays to explore both CUHK campus, and the city with my camera :)

This Tuesday however, was really relaxed. Here are the day's bullet points.

- 7:30, wake up and both my roommates are already doing life. One's showered and the other is already studying (?).
- Mom flies out of Hong Kong en route back to Canada today. I take the MTR to Shek Mun to have one last breakfast with her and take advantage of the hotel shower one last time :P
- Check out with mom and share a tearful, but excited goodbye. My mom rocks, and I'm a Lucky Duck.
- Head back to campus with many a bag in hand - who knew I'd have all this stuff after just 1 week?!

- Back in my room and the weather's wonderfully warm, but by the time I'm back on the 7th floor I'm a little hot and sweaty.
- Roommate #1: "Are you really not cold? I'm wearing 3 layers!" It's 20C/68F. If this is winter, summer might properly melt me

- Sudden headache, so I drink lots of water and decide on a nap.

- After nap, I make plans with the Waterloo Engineers to search for this craft beer place in the LKF district of downtown Hong Kong. That's where most foreigners go for nightlife, and apparently it's shoulder-to-shoulder people on the streets during the weekend.
- Before meeting up with the Waterloo Engineers, I head to the International Centre (i-Centre) to fill out an application for a Student Octopus Card. Having a Student Octopus Card gets me 50% off on MTR travel and student discounts at the campus grocery store.
- At the i-Centre, I run into another girl from Queen's (Cha Gheil!) and a guy from Philadelphia that I've been chatting with on FB before arriving here. Also meet a guy from San Diego, and all three decide to tag along in search of Hong Kong Craft Beer.

- Once in LKF we get properly lost, but found the MOST INSANE ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH STORE EVER. I don't even go into their stores back home, but this one was RIDICULOUS. In a GOOD WAY.
(These pictures are not mine) 
(This is the entranceway. You can select your t-shirts, jeans, and perfume/cologne from what feels like a jewelry counter)
(This mural stretches to the 3rd floor, and is as incredibly beautiful all the way up)

- Once we actually found the craft beer place, it was awesome! I personally appreciated the menu's design - evidently craft beer lovers all around the world can be pretentious. 
- I had a Seven's Stout which was nice, but still made me miss the good old Ships in the Night from Stone City Ales. Some friends did have a "Celebration Ale" though, which was mahogany in colour, poured relatively foggy, and tasted floral but also like gingerbread! That one was COOL.

- Craft Beer is priced just the same as it would be back in Canada, so after one each our wallets were drawing us to the 7-11s. In Hong Kong you can drink on the streets, as long as you don't leave your bottles/cans littered on the ground! (a littering fee here is $500 HKD) Somersby glass bottles were $30HKD/2, and San Miguel tall boys were ~$12HKD each. These kinds of prices are totally unheard of back in Ontario.
- Semi-drunk food was enjoyed at "Big Pizza" which boasted the biggest pizzas in Hong Kong. I'm not exactly in Asia to eat excessive amounts of western food, so I'll believe them. Their Hawaiian was decent enough, and I was satisfied. 

- MTR back home, then caught the last shuttle bus of the night to my dorm. 
- Arrived home to meet so many new suite-mates! Turns out I am only 1 of 3 exchange students in this suite of 13 people, so I'll have a lot of locals to show me around :)
- One girl in my suite is a Fine Arts major who offered to teach me calligraphy - HELL YEAH! Can't wait to try my hand! 

- Off to bed, class tomorrow at 4:30 PM :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment