Wednesday 7 January 2015

Songs Currently Applicable to My Life: A List

2015 has started and so has my biggest adventure to date. Here's a list of songs (in no particular order) that have been super applicable to my life right here, right now.

"I'm alright on my own, but with them I'm much better
They're like diamonds and diamonds are are forever" 
...
"They're a boat when I'm underwater
They tame the sharks and they calm the waves
When I choke they pat my back harder
My load is light, my secrets are safe." 

This song always has me thinking of the amazing people at home I get to call my friends. Some I've only known for a few months, some for a few years, and one in particular since we were 10. These people have always been there for me under any and all circumstances, without any judgement but always with the best advice. 

My housemates back at home for example are some of the sassiest women I know, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. These girls are hilarious, caring, and everlastingly dependable. They're what has made my house in Kingston a home, and I already miss them dearly. 

I've known my best friend since we were 10, and I think we both take pride in the unconventional way that our relationship works so well. We're both pursuing what we love and are good at which keeps us physically away from each other, but that distance has arguably made us closer. Although we don't talk on Skype chat from the minute we get home from high school anymore, our connection is constant and our life updates are never dull. I could never do what she does but I know she wouldn't be happy doing what I do, and that shared understanding makes us immensely proud of each other. This girl is my constant. 

"So don't come looking cause you won't find me
In the same old places that I used to be
I've been living in the same daydream for years
If you're happy I'll be happy for you
I hope everything you wanted finds you too
But I'm gonna get as far as I can from here"

These lyrics are pretty straightforward. I've wanted to travel and go on exchange from the moment I knew it was a possibility, so the fact that I can finally make this a reality makes ME so so so incredibly happy. Plus, Greg Holden songs should always be listened to. 

"So tell me what are we living for?
I say we chuck inhibitions
And sell our souls to rock and roll
I need to know what I'm missing"
...
"We're always looking at someone else
Just take a look in the mirror
Cause all you need is inside yourself
It couldn't be any clearer"

This song reminds me to be spontaneous and stay socially flexible. Not having plans and being open to a bunch of different experiences has so far been serving me well here in Hong Kong, and embracing spontaneity is something I'd really like to incorporate more into my life this year. 
The lyrics also talk about focusing on yourself, which is a HUGE part of what I'm doing here in the first place. 2015 is about me, doing me. 

"I'm sailing away, to a Land of Opportunity
The sun will shine, and birds will sing there every day
I'm sailing away, and I hope that you remember me
It was fun, we had our run. Hip hip hooray!"

Land of Opportunity has been my happy, time-to-get-ready-for-the-day jam in the morning for the last few months or so. I love how optimistic the song is, and it's completely impossible to be in a bad mood after rocking out to this tune. Listening to A Great Big World always brightens my mood instantly, and I love ALL of their stuff :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment