Tuesday 6 January 2015

I'm a Lucky Duck

Moving across the world, even if for a few months is no small feat. I'm lucky enough to have had my mom fly with me to Hong Kong to help me settle into this new school and city for a whole week, which has been a bigger blessing than I could have ever imagined.

Without her, it would have taken me at least twice as long to get my bearings, or even pluck up the courage to venture out and explore the city. As it turns out, getting lost is the best way to explore and discover, so we found ourselves in and around the IFC Mall, exploring the markets of both Alley Alley and some of Mong Kok, and watching the light show at Victoria Harbour before taking a Ferry Tour. She and I worked together to figure out the MTR systems, because although it's super straightforward after a few rides, no transit system is as simple as Toronto's.

I've always been lucky enough to say that my mom and I have an excellent relationship. As a kid, while I was a teenager, and now entering into adulthood, my mom's always been there to encourage and challenge me to strive for big things while appreciating what I've got in the here and now. From her I have inherited kindness, sensitivity, compassion for others and the inability to give up, which coupled with the outgoing nature and extreme extroversion I've gotten from my dad have made me someone I am very proud to be.

So I guess this Little Thing, Happy Thing isn't really that little at all. My mom is invaluable and I'm so lucky she's mine. Okay I'm crying into my keyboard now, until next post.

1 comment: